Oshawa Child Support Lawyers

If you pay money to, or receive money from, your child’s other parent for the financial support of your child, that is called “child support.” Child support is intended to cover the cost of food, clothing, and other incidentals central to raising a child. While it is intended to be for the benefit of the child, it is not paid directly to the child, but rather to the parent. At Borden Family Law, we have advised clients on family law matters for 17 years, including on separation and divorce, as well as related issues such as child support, and child custody and access. We work closely with each of our clients to understand their particular family dynamics and to help them come to the most beneficial resolution for them and their children.

Child Support in Ontario

In Ontario, the amount of child support is determined by the Child Support Guidelines (CSG). In the form of a grid or chart, the CSG set out monthly child support payment amounts based on the payor’s income and the number of children from the relationship. The amount of child support may also vary depending on the amount of time the child/children spend with the payor parent vs. the payee parent. Additionally, if your child or children are over the age of majority, they may be entitled to support if they cannot become independent due to an illness, disability or “other cause” and parents may still have an obligation to support an older child going to university or college. The payor’s income is decided by a review of their T1 Tax Return, but the court can also take into consideration other factors such as whether they are self-employed or work on commission. If a payor tries to hide their income, a judge can “impute” income, that is, set an income level based on the payor’s lifestyle and previous earnings. The court can also demand financial documentation of a year or more. Once an order for child support is made, it is a court order and you must comply or risk being in contempt of court. Even if the other parent withholds access, moves, or you lose your job, you cannot stop payments unless your former spouse agrees. Alternatively, you may apply to a court for relief or a post-divorce modification noting your circumstances have changed dramatically since the order was first made.

For Exceptional Guidance on Child Support, Contact Borden Family Law in Oshawa

At Borden Family Law, we have been helping clients with child support matters for more than 17 years. We do our utmost to ensure your children will be well taken care of following the end of your relationship, and that their best interests are protected. We have the experience and knowledge necessary to help you come to the most optimal arrangement for yourself and your children. Call us at 905-576-6090, or contact us online. Ask about our bundled services and flat fees.